Thursday, May 22, 2014

Acquisition: Sebastian Telfair's Jacket



People often ask me, "what is the weirdest thing in your NBA collection?"  In the past, I've given such answers as a Carmelo Anthony snow globe, Tim Thomas's left shoe, and Walter McCarty's autograph on a napkin.  I guess I've never been able to decide which of these things, among plenty of other weird things, is the absolute weirdest.  Going forward, however, I expect to provide only one answer to the "weirdest thing" question: Sebastian Telfair's jacket.


What you are looking at is the top half of the suit Sebastian Telfair wore to the premier of Through the Fire, a 2005 documentary focusing on Telfair's senior season at Coney Island's Lincoln High School.  It is hanging from my bedroom door.  I scooped it off the 'bay at a cost of $4.99, and I am not a smidgeon less than one hundred percent sure it's really the suit Sebastian wore to the 2005 Tribeca Film Festival.  The evidence is as follows:

  • Sebastian Telfair discussed with Boston.com his custom suits by Joseph Abboud.  Joseph Abboud, based in Bassy's native New York, maintains a business relationship with the NBA.  This is probably why Telfair wears this brand of suit.
  • Sebastian Telfair explained to Boston.com that his custom suits have his name on the inside.  Stitched into the inside of my Sebastian Telfair jacket is, "personally styled for S. Telfair."
  • It's a perfect photo match with the jacket Sebastian was photographed in at the premier of his movie.  To determine this, I carefully examined the stripes, in particular where they are interrupted by seams.  The unique way in which some stripes align and others don't is consistent with the photo.
  • I bought it from a seller in Brooklyn, New York.  Makes sense.
  • It was $4.99.  Scammers have bigger fish to fry.

Even for $4.99, I might not have purchased Bassy's suit if Bassy wasn't basically the same size as me.  Listed at six feet, I'd say he's really about five-feet-ten.  I met him once (super cool dude, I might add; before a game, he randomly introduced himself to me), and I recall thinking, damn, he's my height!  For the record, I'm five-feet-eight. 

When I happened upon the auction for this jacket (one of the all-time highlights of my Ebay experience), I had hoped to find that it had been part of Telfair's NBA Draft ensemble.  As it turns out, he wasn't in attendance, so there is no Sebstian Telfair Draft Day suit; this being the case, that he wore this jacket to the premier of his film makes it probably the most notable Sebastian Telfair jacket. 

Naturally, I was super excited to try this thing on.  It's a little big, especially in the shoulders, but I could definitely wear it without anyone suspecting that it had once belonged to a professional basketball player.  I really, really wish I had the pants.  I suppose I can have a matching pair made.  Then I can go to work wearing former NBA lottery selection Sebastian Telfair's suit.  Certainly this will make going to work exponentially more enjoyable.


No comments:

Post a Comment