Sunday, October 5, 2014

Acquisition: Authentic Sterling Sharpe Jersey


In the acquisition post for my Ben Coates jersey, I explained my fondness for the New England Patriots.  I don't consider myself a Patriots fan, but my mom certainly is, and some of my warmest childhood memories stem from watching Patriots games with her.  For this reason, nostalgia often strikes me in conjunction with the Patriots.  Similarly, I maintain a sentimental interest in the Green Bay Packers, because the Packers are my dad's favorite sports team.

Sterling Sharpe played seven NFL seasons, all for the Packers.  Twice, he led the league in receiving touchdowns; thrice, in receptions.  Unfortunately, his career came to its premature conclusion in 1994 as the result of a neck injury.  He was just 29 years old, and it is for this reason that he was not a member of the Packers' 1996 Super Bowl squad.

This jersey is vintage '90s -- heat pressed numbers and letters, made by Starter, complete with the 75th Anniversary patch.  A wonderful addition to my modest NFL collection.

1 comment: