Sunday, March 23, 2014

Custom Basketball Card: Kenyon Martin


I enjoy collecting basketball cards enough that I'm on EBay every day.  As I browse, I often find myself wishing the card manufacturer had done something differently.  For an example I'll refer to my own collection, which includes approximately forty Kenyon Martin cards.  Of these forty K-Mart cards, only a handful have him dunking, and precisely zero show him screaming.  This is very odd, I think.  Based on a glance at some Kenyon Martin source photography, which is far richer in scowls than smiles, it actually seems as if provocative imagery has been intentionally avoided.  

Maybe Upper Deck, Topps and the like perceive a responsibility to be kid-friendly.  I suppose trading cards are supposed to be for children, but I'm a dork and I don't care.  I like basketball cards and I want one that shows Kenyon Martin in the midst of one of his expletive-ridden rants.  So I made one.

I like it, I think.  Then again, it is a product of my own imagination ---I should like it.  So, what do you think?  Should I make more?  Should I uninstall Photoshop?  I'd appreciate your feedback, here.


No comments:

Post a Comment