Monday, January 6, 2014

Acquisition: Dikembe Mutombo Bobble Head/Finger


It's always exciting to receive a package, but when I noticed amongst today's mail a box marked "fragile," I was ecstatic.  Not because I'd won a major award; but because, finally, I hold in my hands the Dikembe Mutombo bobble finger!

This particular bobble has been on my radar for years.  Though not difficult to find --- there are always a few on EBay --- it typically goes for quite a bit more than I like to spend on such things.  Thankfully, when this one was listed at what I deemed a bargain price, I was able to snag it.

Obviously, this Deke bobble is unique because its arm moves.  Mutombo's finger wag gesture became his signature as he rejected 3,256 shots, second only to The Dream.  During his brief but successful tenure in Philadelphia, someone had the brilliant idea to immortalize the finger wag in the form of a stadium giveaway.  As a Sixer, Mutombo was an All-Star, Finalist, rebounding champion, and Defensive Player of the Year.  One of the greatest defenders in the history of his sport, Dikembe played his nearly two decades of NBA basketball with unbridled passion and fantastic enthusiasm.  He is also an esteemed humanitarian, making him a lovable character on and off the court.



And he talks like the cookie monster.  Considering how many tried, only an elite few ever entered the house of Mutombo.  I assume if anyone ever tries to rob me my Deke bobble finger will break their nose with its elbow and wag its finger in their face.

No comments:

Post a Comment