Wednesday, January 8, 2014

Acquisition: Kyrie Irving Cleveland Cavaliers Authentic Road Jersey



I don't really mess with Adidas jerseys.  The brand has turned me, a longtime jersey collector, off with its boring designs, occasional sleeves, and, most of all, ridiculous price points.  Including this one, I only have two modern authentics; the other being a red Eric Gordon Clippers.  Both were Christmas gifts. 

That's not to say there isn't anything to like about this jersey.  The Cavs, thankfully, are one of a few teams whose uniforms still utilize traditional trim and a scoop-neck collar.  The wine and gold color scheme has always appealed to me, and the long, slim fit of the Revolution 30 cut fits my thin frame like a glove.  I like the design of the jock tag, although I'd prefer numerical sizing.  Also, it's Kyrie Irving.  If you haven't heard, he's pretty decent.

Unfortunately, I can't conclude this post without getting into a discussion of price.  Needless to say, three-hundred dollars is a good deal of money --- twice as much as was asked for an authentic jersey just ten or so seasons ago, when jerseys were at the height of their popularity in urban fashion.  With designs having become simpler, cuts slimmer, and materials thinner, it surprises me that the market has tolerated a one-hundred percent increase in price over a relatively short period of time.  I suppose the number of consumers chasing authentics has probably always been limited; maybe to the point that Adidas has concluded those able and willing to pay $150 for a glorified tank top will just as easily fork over $300.  But even if this is indeed the case, is it asking too much of Adidas to demand the utmost integrity in an "authentic" product?  For $300, I feel as though I ought to get precisely what the players wear on the court, not some imitation mesh numbers.

After all, according to CNN, it costs $3.72 to produce a denim shirt in Bangladesh.  NBA Authentics, though in many ways different from denim shirts, also originate overseas.  To construct an accurate jersey with the correct materials doesn't seem as though it'd cut too sharply into profit margins.

I guess it's worthy of note that I do support free market capitalism.  I understand that, in the case I am dissatisfied, I can express this sentiment by keeping my money in my pocket, which is what I've been doing.  As for Santa Claus, he is out of my control (but appreciated nonetheless).




No comments:

Post a Comment