Tuesday, January 7, 2014

Water Bottle Swag: Drew Gooden


No, I don't drink from it.  The straw is cracked.  Nevertheless, I rather enjoy my Drew Gooden water bottle.  Approximately twice the height of an average bobble head, it makes an impressive display piece.  Typically, Ebay discoveries sit on my watch list for a while as I budget and prioritize; in this case, however, I made an instant purchase.  Had to have it.

The Drew Gooden water bottle exists thanks to Memphis area Subway restaurants, where it was a promotional item during the Grizzlies' early days in Tennessee.  There are others --- Jason Williams, Lorenzen Wright --- but I've yet to see them for sale.  Gooden's is particularly unique because he played just 51 games in his single season as a Grizzly, averaging his usual 12 and 5.

Though not a particularly popular player, I happened to like Drew Gooden.  He was a bit enigmatic, with a tendency to leave critics scratching their heads, but he possessed the sort of talent and versatility that allowed him to record solid statistics in all sorts of different systems.  Gooden was plugged in to about every situation imaginable when he suited up for six teams between 2007 and 2010.  In a single game stint with the Kings, he came off the bench to post 12 points and 13 boards.  Following brief tenures with the Mavericks and Spurs, he wound up with the Clippers for the conclusion of '09/10, averaging 15 and 9 over 24 appearances.

Gooden also expressed, given his journeyman status, a peculiar tendency to flirt with triple-doubles.  Despite playing mostly backup minutes at the four and five, he managed enough assists to complete two career triple-dips, both as a member of the Bucks.

Also, there was this.



I think Bucks Drew Gooden is my favorite Drew Gooden.  He brought out the entire offensive arsenal in Milwaukee.  I suppose that's probably why he was amnestied.  Presently, he's running a bunch of Wingstop franchises, where drinks may or may not be served in Drew Gooden water bottles.

No comments:

Post a Comment