Sunday, January 19, 2014

LeBron's Game-Winner That Wasn't & Why I Don't Own A Cell Phone





I don't own a cell phone.  Well, actually, I suppose I do own a cell phone.  It's a Samsung flip phone (remember those?), and I've had it for nearly a decade.  That said, its only function for a couple years now has been as the world's most reliable alarm clock.  I've been using it as such ever since my favorite windup clock retired from winding.  I long championed the windup Baby Ben for its lack of dependence on electricity; however, I've not considered a replacement because my flip phone clock, equipped with a long-lasting battery, essentially provides the same peace of mind without the various inconveniences of a windup.  Plus, instead of buzzing obnoxiously, it plays Rick Ross.

Even when my flip phone actually served as a phone, it served as one very infrequently.  The bill ceased to be paid permanently when having a phone was no longer one of my job requirements.  The monthly charge was not particularly expensive --- quite reasonable, actually --- it’s just that I never wanted a phone in the first place.  I hadn't even purchased the thing; my dad gave it to me.

Given that over ninety percent of American adults are said to own a cell phone, you can certainly imagine how often it is I am asked, by persons of every kind imaginable, all of whom approach me in the same exact state of disbelief, how I manage to subsist without one.  The most typical inquiries are probably, "how do you contact people?" and "what do you do if your car breaks down?"  To question number one, I typically reply, jokingly, that I have no friends (and this is, in fact, a joke --- believe it or not, I have a few).  To question number two, I retort, "whatever people did when they broke down before cell phones."

Truth is, when I'm driving alone, I'd prefer to have a cell phone, just in case.  There are other scenarios, too, when it'd be nice to maintain a line of contact.  But I consider these instances to represent mere inconveniences; minor drawbacks of living the lifestyle I cherish.  In some cases, even, I believe my periodic isolation from technology promotes mental health.

Every Monday, Wednesday, and Friday after my fall ’13 semester classes I would visit my favorite takeout restaurant.  More than once the thought crossed my mind that if I had a cell phone I could call in at the end of class, make the ten-minute drive, and have my order ready for me.  Instead, I would wait twenty minutes in the parking lot between placing my order and chowing down.  I soon realized I didn’t mind waiting, though.  I took this time to read a book for pleasure, or simply to reflect.  This is the sort of considerate pace I prefer to maintain as I make my way through life.  I believe it to be enlightening.  Also, I sort of came to know the employees who received my lunch orders face-to-face.  We had a few nice conversations.

Above is a screenshot (provided by this fine gentleman) of Saturday evening's game between the Miami Heat and Charlotte Bobcats.  Specifically, it captures the final seconds of regulation in a tied game, the rock in the mighty hands of a basketball titan, a reigning MVP and Champion who may someday be christened the greatest player ever to test the sport. 

As King James plots his attack, seven presumable basketball fans sit in closer proximity to the pinnacle of sporting drama than any of the other countless civilians who look on, forced to attend a television or squint from the nosebleeds.  These seven are in the enviable position of being as close to the planet’s supreme athlete as anyone but his defender at this heightened moment of interest.  Yet, as the King of the Hard Court aims to build upon his incredible legend, only one of these seven sets of eyes focuses on him.  The other six peer down at their cell phones (one actually appears to stare blankly into oblivion, but I'm throwing her in with the cell phone crowd).

These six sets of eyeballs didn't really miss anything.  Surprisingly, it was LeBron who missed.  But, if at the very apex of the event, they chose to stare at their phones, what do you figure they chose to do during most of the rest of it? 

Stare at their phones, probably.

Truthfully, this is nothing but an extreme example of a common failure amongst people.  Isn't it ironic that our attempt to stay connected at all times, to not miss anything, is causing us to miss out on so much of life itself?

A good deal of life stems from observation.  Observations become memories.  Memories become thoughts.  Thoughts become ideas, feelings, and opinions, which produce the actions that define us.  Actions become experiences, which in turn become memories, completing the cycle.  Additionally, our sharing of ideas, feelings, opinions, and experiences with others forms the basis of human interaction --- the sort of human interaction that is worthwhile, at least.

Had LeBron made his last-second shot to defeat the Bobcats, those people owning the six pairs of eyes glued to the cell phones would've posted photos and/or videos to Facebook, where they'd revel in the envy of their peers.  But for this hollow, fleeting glory, they'd pay dearly.  Never could they recollect the time they watched a bead of sweat drip from LeBron James' chin as he glared savagely into the eyes of his opposition, the very moment before the kill.  Never could they offer an account of what it's like to be able to read LeBron's tattoos, to hear him call “glass!” as he releases the game-winner.  I mean, sure, they were there, but were they really THERE?  For all intents and purposes, no.  They chose to be in cyberspace instead.

And I guess that's fine.  After all, it's not my position to tell another man what he can and can't do in his courtside seat.  But I do find it unfortunate that our fixation on technology is taking such a toll on the number and depth of connections made amongst us.  The less we observe, the fewer memories we have.  The fewer memories, the fewer thoughts (well, interesting ones, at least).  The fewer thoughts, the fewer ideas, feelings, and opinions we develop, and the fewer experiences we have and share with others.  Rather, we stare down at our cell phones, petrified of missing anything, as we miss our lives unfolding all around us.

This is the real reason I don't care to own a cell phone.  Even having heard all the fuss about staying in contact, and despite full familiarity with innumerable "what-if" scenarios, I remain much more fearful of a different kind of disconnect --- a disconnect from life itself.

No comments:

Post a Comment